Disclaimer: This is not a review and no spoilers ahead.
I have started watching the television shows lately. I know, I am a bit late to enter this arena but I will try to catch up. Right now, I have just finished the 5th season of Suits. Apparently, it’s not suitable for kids under 18 (that doesn’t mean it has any Adult content but they won’t get it). And if you are over 18, I just have 4 words, it’s damn effing awesome. You can’t afford to miss this one.
The Plot is: a maverick lawyer (Harvey Specter) working in a corporate law firm hires a fake lawyer (Mike Ross) who turns out to be as good as the maverick lawyer. And the consequences the firm faces for hiring a fake lawyer. The entire plot revolves around the life of 6 main characters. Obviously, it has multiple sidetracks to keep the viewers engaged for the five seasons. And the sixth (probably, the last) is on its way.
This show gives out a hell lot of lessons to learn from different characters.
Lessons Learnt from:
Harvey Specter is a kick-ass lawyer working at Pearson Hardman. He is someone who goes by his instinct which turns out to be a calculated risk paying off well in the end. He is the best goddamn closer.
- You always have a choice.
“Harvey: What are your choices when someone puts a gun to your head?
Mike: What are you talking about? You do what they say or they shoot you.
Harvey: Wrong. You take the gun, or you pull out a bigger one. Or, you call their bluff. Or, you do any one of a hundred and forty-six other things.”
- Dreams are just a figment of imaginations on the other hand goals are SMART. They are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound.
“I don’t have dreams, I have goals.”
- Read people. Know what they want and give them what they need. Use your emotional intelligence to turn things to your favor.
“I’m against having emotions, not using them”
- Always have the eye of the tiger.
“That’s the difference between you and me, you wanna lose small and I wanna win big”
- Sometimes you have to bold enough to make the right decision which might look wrong to others.
“Sometimes good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay.”
- Don’t leave anything to chance.
“I don’t play the odds, I play the man.”
- Looks can be deceiving
“Just because a pretty girl gives you a story, doesn’t mean it is true”
- You can’t make the first impression twice.
“First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you’ll never get in front.”
- Always have a Plan B
“When your back is against the wall, break the god damn thing down”
- Attitude matters a lot. Always have the right one.
“I don’t pave the way for people. People pave the way for me.”
- There is no substitute for hard work.
“The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
- Don’t make excuse. Accept the defeat with grace and give credit to the one who deserves it.
“Winners don’t make excuses when the other side plays the game”
- Confidence is everything.
“I could be drinking a juice box and still kick your ass.”
- Don’t command respect, earn it.
“My respect is not demanded it’s earned”
- Love yourself.
“Have you ever loved someone so much you would do anything for them?
Yeah, well, make that someone yourself and do whatever the hell you want.”
Mike Ross is nobody with photographic memory who becomes somebody after playing Robin to Harvey
- Live with your decisions and face the consequences.
- Be self-righteous and admit your mistakes.
Louis Litt is funny and interesting. He is a character with different shades of gray (just to clarify, I am not referring to 50 shades of gray)
- Do whatever you can to get what you want
- Adapt to the varying circumstances
Jessica Pearson is the Pearson (founder and managing partner) of ‘Pearson Hardman’, one of the best law firms in New York.
- Use your power wisely
- Do whatever you can to protect the things dearest to you
Donna Paulson is Harvey Specter’s secretary acting like Sherlock Holmes at times
- Always be loyal to your work.
“Loyalty is a two-way street. If I’m asking for it from you, then you are getting it from me”
- Don’t engage in a personal relationship at work, there is no coming back.
Rachel Zane is Mike Ross’s love life. She is sexy and hot; and she rants a lot in Season 5 (Oops, was that a spoiler!).
- If you are going to love someone, love that person to the moon and back
- Never give up. You may try and fail but never fail to try.
So what are you waiting for?
P.S. I can guarantee one thing, after watching Suits, you will definitely feel like becoming a lawyer 😀
“Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am”
INDEX: 11 20